Morris & Spottiswood are one of the leading providers of fitout, refurbishment, M&E, facilities management and construction services in the UK. A family firm, with a proud track record of excellence, we aim high, act responsibly and value our staff and customers.
Our M&E division has the in-house resources, expertise and flexibility to deliver the highest quality M&E services, cost-effectively to tight deadlines. We use a highly effective ‘value engineering’ approach to deliver innovative, energy efficient solutions. We focus on enhancing performance and reducing costs.
We are currently looking to grow our Design team with a Trainee Electrical Designer. This role offers the opportunity to grow your career with an established M&E business.
Reporting to the Design Manager in our Leeds office, the role will include the following duties:
- To deliver project development proposals and manufacturing solutions to clients at tender stage, query meetings, and progress meetings
- Take responsibility for checking design calculations
- Use of Amtech design software to produce design calculations
- Design electrical installations including the production of design drawings, diagrams and schematics along with project specifications and schedules
- Carry out design validations/ technical duties with the project teams, participating in design reviews and appraisals as necessary
- Conduct site validation visits to ensure that the installation satisfies the design intent
- Managing all on-site design stages from start to finish in collaboration with the project teams, provide technical advice/ assistance to queries raised by the project teams and assist with the re-engineering of pre-designed contracts
- Liaise with clients (both internal and external) regarding design and specification to ensure their requirements are fully understood and met
- Ensuring design quality directives are followed thoroughly
- Developing and preparing reports for department
- Providing advice and guidance to the department relating to any design issues
- Developing, producing and maintaining design strategies
- Providing technical expertise into projects from bidding, procurement as well as manufacturing stages
- Manage all departmental documentation and ensure that it is up to date
- To carry out other duties as required ensuring the business achieves its aims and objectives
- You should be a recent graduate with a BSc degree in Electronic & Electrical Engineering or BSc degree in Building Services and be working towards the relevant grade of professional membership (IEng/ CEng)
- Practical work experience within the sector is useful, but not essential as full training will be given within the M&E team
You should have a keen interest in design, buildings and creating the right working environments. You will need to be resourceful, conscientious, innovative, and able to work independently. You will also need to communicate confidently with all levels of professionals and trades people, so highly developed interpersonal and presentation skills are important. Experience with CAD/BIM software will be an advantage.
Successful candidates will also:
- hold a valid driving licence
- be fully IT literate in Amtech, Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel (at intermediate level)
Standard business hours are 8am – 5pm Monday - Thursday and 8am – 4pm on a Friday with one hour lunch break.
- Competitive entry salary and car allowance
- Single healthcare membership
- 5% Employers Pension Contributions
- Holidays: 33 total annual days (including public holidays) plus an extra half day on birthday
Download Vacancy Advert