Morris & Spottiswood are one of the leading providers of fitout, refurbishment, M&E, facilities management and construction services in the UK. A family firm, with a proud track record of excellence, we aim high, act responsibly and value our staff and customers.
This position would suit a recent Graduate, someone with some HSQE experience or, someone who would like a career change. We have a real passion for creating pathways and driving career development at Morris & Spottiswood. We are currently looking for someone looking to develop in an HSQE role; an individual with a true passion for Health, Safety, Quality and the Environment – along with an appetite to become an integral part of our HSQE team.
Reporting to the Senior HSQE Business Partner, your initial duties will involve shadowing the HSQE Business Partners to gain experience and knowledge in all aspects of HSQE. A tailored training plan will support your development and integration to the HSQE team and wider business.
Your ultimate role will be to carry out regular on-site auditing and monitoring, feeding your findings back to the relevant business units, offering advice and support to promote positive safety at all times.
You will be required to coach our operations teams and site-based employees to ensure that they can fulfil their own H&S duties.
We will be happy to consider applicants with prior experience in the construction industry, or new entrants to construction with a desire to learn about all aspects of safety.
Typical duties will include:
- Carry out site audits, prepare reports, organise and monitor closure of actions required.
- Provide individual coaching to operations team when required to upskill.
- Assist with devising and driving forward key H&S initiatives.
- Prepare and communicate toolbox talks and safety alerts.
- Review near miss cards and ensure completion of actions required where necessary.
- Assist with writing of H&S Plans and complex risk assessments.
- Review existing safe systems of work and risk assessments to ensure they are suitable and sufficient for works being carried out.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and prepare reports.
- Carry out Company H&S Inductions for new employees and temporary workers.
- Liaise with Client H&S and Management representatives to ensure good co-operation. Attend Client meetings and seminars as requested.
- Assist the HSQE BP’s where required.
- Maintain professional development and ensure you stay up to date with current legislation and industry best practice.
- Ability to liaise with clients and build positive relationships .
- Approachable with a willingness to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are essential to communicate confidently with people at all levels.
- Ability to multi-task to meet business and client needs.
- Ability to work independently, display initiative and decision-making skills.
- Positive approach to working in a team environment.
- Diplomatic and discreet nature with a flexible attitude and a general commitment to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Full driving licence.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the UK (note the role will be predominantly based in the North West of England).
- Experience of working within a construction company, ideally in a site-based role.
- NEBOSH Certificate (the company will sponsor this qualification if not held).
- Degree Qualified: Whilst it would be an added advantage for the individual to hold a safety related Degree, this is not essential.
- The position will be based from our Warrington office. There will be a requirement to travel to sites on a regular basis. The role will involve working away from home from time to time with business travel (including visits to our other offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Leeds).
- Salary will be dependent on route of entry, with car allowance, pension, and healthcare benefits.
- 33 days’ annual leave (including public holidays), ½ day extra annual leave on birthdays and a fully equipped gym onsite.
Download Job Advert